Surveillance Analysis Support System for ATC-Centre (SASS-C)
The Surveillance Analysis Support System for ATC Centres (SASS-C) is software developed by EUROCONTROL. To ensure its stability and reliability, the Agency also provides updates, maintenance and support to SASS-C along with standardised methods for assessing the performance of surveillance infrastructures.
SASS‑C provides interoperable top-level verification (VERIF) and prediction (PREDICT) functionality to civil and military Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs), R&D organisations and the ATM industry.
The SASS‑C verification function has three objectives:
- to verify the compliance of the surveillance infrastructure (ATM Surveillance Sensors and Surveillance Data Processing and Distribution System) with EUROCONTROL’s current surveillance standards and specifications;
- to support air incident investigation, with a particular focus on surveillance aspects;
- to support the development and implementation of new ATM surveillance systems.
The verification function has five steps:
- acquiring and importing data in a variety of surveillance formats;
- reconstructing multi-sensor surveillance data to build a reference for each flight;
- comparing reported data to the reconstructed reference;
- aggregating and reporting comparisons against standard-defined thresholds;
- investigating, enabled via visual representation to the user.
SASS-C’s verification function can be applied to all current surveillance techniques and technologies (PSR, SSR, ADS-B, Multilateration). Evolutions for handling Multi Static Primary Surveillance (MSPS(R)) and Surface Movement Area-specific sensors and Surface Movement Area-specific type of motion as considered in the future.
SASS-C’s verification function provides a cost-effective, 24/7 performance monitoring solution.
The SASS-C prediction functionality enables the theoretical calculation of surveillance infrastructure performance, probability of receipt of message, calculating for environment interference, and position measurement accuracy. The function is characterised by:
- a 3D grid approach (based on Digital Terrain Elevation Data – DTED - resolutions) for calculating, storing and displaying the results;
- a design facilitating the input of multiple levels of digital terrain elevation data quality. For every single location, it will use the best terrain data available;
- the ability to calculate a multiplicity of perspectives by the Surveillance System at any point in space.
The prediction function implements a generic Surveillance Infrastructure model supporting sectorised radar and multi-sectored systems.
SASS-C runs on x86_64 based hardware and Linux of the RHEL family.
SASS-C software is distributed free of charge to the EUROCONTROL Member State’s Organisations (EMSOs), upon signature of a license agreement. An EMSO is an organisation mandated by any EUROCONTROL Member States to provide air traffic services in their territory, whether this organisation is state-owned or privatised. Member State military organisations are de facto EMSOs. An industry providing services to an EMSO is considered to be an EMSO for this purpose.
For Non-EUROCONTROL Member State Organisations (NEMSOs), SASS-C may be made available subject to the signature of a license agreement but also upon payment of an acquisition fee of €20,000, then a €5,000 EUR yearly maintenance fee. Any organisation outside EUROCONTROL Member States and the manufacturing industry whether located inside a Member State or not are considered as NEMSOs. An EMSO providing services outside EUROCONTROL Member States is considered to be a NEMSO for this purpose.
SASS-C Maintenance And Support (SACMAS) service is only available to EMSOs.
For questions concerning licensing please contact out Licensing Requests team. For other questions please send an e-mail to the SASS-C Management team.