- Network functions
- Strategy and development
- Disruption and crisis
- Forecast, monitoring & analysis
- Network Operations
- Operations planning
- Communication, navigation and surveillance
- Technical Systems
- Network Manager contacts
Here you will find mainly Links to associated aeronautical and technical organisations and associations, where additional documentation concerning SSR Mode S can be accessed.
Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA) and European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Administrative and Guidance Material
- Certification Specifications and Acceptable Means of Compliance for Airborne Communications, Navigation and Surveillance (CS-ACNS) - Note the CS-ACNS is the applicable means of compliance against EU1207/2011. The following JAA/EASA documents are provided below for completeness in recognition that numerous aircraft were certified in accordance with these older documents.
- JAA Temporary Guidance leaflet (TGL) 13, Revision 1: Certification of Mode S Transponder Systems for Elementary Surveillance (ELS) - This guidance material has been prepared for the installation and certification of Mode S SSR for Elementary Surveillance. It does not constitute a regulation but does establish an acceptable means that can be used to obtain airworthiness approval of Mode S systems. Revision 1 of this guidance material takes account of Amendment 77 to ICAO Annex 10 Volumes III and IV, July 2002.
- EASA AMC 20-13: Certification of Mode S Transponder Systems for Enhanced Surveillance (EHS) - This guidance material from EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) has been prepared for the installation, certification and maintenance of Mode S SSR transponder systems for Enhanced Surveillance. It does not constitute a regulation but it does provide a method by which equipment installers and aircraft operators can satisfy an authority that the transponder capability required by airspace regulations has been addressed. Note: 1. This advisory material supersedes and replaces JAA TGL N°. 18 and NPA 20-12a.2. It is practice for EASA to group AMCs together; AMC 20-13 begins on Page 30 of this 45 page PDF.
International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO)
The following documents can be requested from ICAO :
- ICAO Annex 10 Volumes III (Communications Systems) - Volume III of Annex 10 contains Standards and Recommended Practices and guidance material for various air-ground and ground-ground voice and data communication systems.
- ICAO Annex 10 Volume IV (Surveillance Radar and Collision Avoidance Systems) - Volume IV of Annex 10 contains Standards and Recommended Practices and guidance material for secondary surveillance radar (SSR) and airborne collision avoidance systems (ACAS), including SARPs for SSR Mode A, Mode C and Mode S; and the technical characteristics of ACAS. Please note that whilst numerous documents refer to ICAO Annex 10 Vol IV Amendment 73 it is recommended that the latest applicable version of the document is used (v89 in 2018).
- Technical Provisions for Mode S Services and Extended Squitter Doc 9871 - Second Edition, 2012. This document specifies the technical provisions related to the implementation of the Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) for surveillance systems using Mode S services and extended squitter.
- ICAO Doc 9924 - Aeronautical Surveillance Manual., 2nd edition , 2017- This manual serves as a reference document on aeronautical surveillance for ATM purposes.
Airlines Electronic Engineering Committee (AEEC)
The following documents can be requested from AEEC via the website link:
- 718A-4 Mark 4 ATCRB/Mode S Air Traffic Control Transponder - Mark 4 Air Traffic Control Transponder (ATCRBS/MODE S) describes an Air Traffic Control Radar Beacon System/Mode Select (ATCRBS/Mode S) airborne transponder with Extended Interface Functions (EIF). The ATC surveillance system is made up of airborne transponders and ground interrogator-receivers, processing equipment, and antenna systems.
Requirements, Technology and Concepts for Aviation (RTCA)
The following documents can be requested from RTCA via the website link:
- DO-181E Minimum Operational Performance Standards for Air Traffic Control Radar Beacon System/Mode Select (ATCRB/Mode S) Airborne Equipment - This document updates DO-181B by incorporating appropriate material to recognize changes made by ICAO to the Mode S System SARPs and the Mode S Subnetwork SARPs.
European Organisation for Civil Aviation Equipment (EUROCAE)
The following documents can be requested from EUROCAE via the website link:
- ED-73E MOPS for Secondary Surveillance Radar Mode S Transponders - This document specifies the minimum operational performance requirements for Secondary Surveillance Radar Mode S Transponders.