Master Plan maintenance - SESAR 2020 project PJ20
SESAR 2020 is an ambitious programme that aims to develop new technologies and operational procedures to support implementation of the Single European Sky concept; it is driven by the SESAR Joint Undertaking (SJU).
Within SESAR 2020, the Master Plan Maintenance project (PJ20 - AMPLE) is responsible for the maintenance of the European ATM Master Plan (ATM MP). The Master Plan is the roadmap to the year 2035 and beyond. It defines the content, the priorities and the high-level development and deployment plans for the new ATM system contributing to the achievement of the Single European Sky (SES). It states the essential operational changes that need to occur and the related functionalities that operational stakeholders will have to implement.
The Master Plan consists of three levels:
- Executive View (Level 1);
- Planning and Architecture View (Level 2);
- Implementation View (Level 3).
PJ20 is set up to monitor, maintain, and align all three levels of the Master Plan (executive, planning, and implementation) and its associated portal.
PJ20 officially kicked off on 1 November 2016. The next release of the ATM Master Plan should be available in 2018.
The Master Plan addresses several challenges such as:
- ensuring the seamless transition from Research & Innovation (R&I) results to deployment activities;
- addressing key issues related to the architecture at Master Plan level;
- achieving consistency between the three levels of the Master Plan;
- maximising levels of complementarity between the Master Plan and the deployment programme which will be maintained by the SESAR Deployment Manager via 'Common Projects';
- facilitating stakeholders' contribution to the process.
The final deliverables include:
- one major update of the three levels by 2020;
- annual updates of the level 2 plan and report;
- annual updates of the level 3 plan and report;
- annual updates of the standardisation and regulation roadmaps;
- level 3 maintenance, monitoring and reporting;
- business cases of new implementation objectives related to level 3;
- support to the definition of 'Common Projects'.
The project will support the delivery of the following activities:
- To support the management of the Master Plan campaign and publish the adopted editions (synchronisation of the three levels).
- Based on SESAR Solutions, to outline operational and technological changes that will contribute to the achievement of the SES high-level goals.
- To manage the ATM Master Plan portal that provides access to the 3 levels of the ATM-MP, and to the architecture (EATMA), the Integrated Roadmap, the lexicon and the standardisation and regulatory roadmaps.
Deployment packaging and scenario development (Level 2)
The activities and processes will be synchronising SESAR Solutions to optimise their deployment, making use of consolidated performance assessments and cost benefit analysis information. They will also publish the related 'data sets' (containing OIs, ENs, IOC, FOC, targeted operating environments and associated deployment scenarios for SESAR Solutions or clusters of SESAR Solutions when justified from a deployment logic perspective).
- To describe medium- to long-term SESAR performance in line with SES performance.
Implementation Planning and Monitoring (Level 3)
- To translate relevant level 2 information into an implementation view (Level 3).
Support for definition of Common Projects
- To provide expert support on request from the SJU on the definition of Common Projects.
- To identify the links with existing regulation and potential needs for new regulatory actions.
- To maintain the SESAR regulatory roadmap.
- To assess standardisation needs and timelines.
- To maintain the SESAR standardisation roadmap.
To demonstrate a positive Business Case covering both financial (monetised) and qualitative arguments, identifying positive and negative aspects and ways of mitigating the negative aspects.
The European ATM Master Plan Edition 2015 sets the SESAR expected impacts as ambitions in the following key performance areas in the field of aviation:
- Security by ensuring high levels of security;
- Cost efficiency up to 40% reduction in air navigation service costs per flight;
- Capacity up to 30% reduction in departure delays, 10% additional flights landing at congested airports and by a system capable of handling up to 100% more traffic;
- Environment up to 10% reduction in CO2 emissions and via a positive impact on noise and air quality;
- Operational efficiency up to 6% reduction in flight time and 10% reduction in fuel burn;
- Safety by improving by up to factor of 4.
EUROCONTROL will monitor the progress of work for the development and implementation, and prepare the necessary updates to the European ATM Master Plan.
There will be a particular close collaboration with the Content Integration project (PJ19), namely Performance and Architecture.
- AIRBUS SAS (France)
- VALSTYBES IMONE ORO NAVIGACIJA (Lithuania)
- LUFTFARTSVERKET (Sweden)
- DASSAULT AVIATION (France)
- DFS DEUTSCHE FLUGSICHERUNG GMBH (Germany)
- DIRECTION DES SERVICES DE LA NAVIGATION AERIENNE (France)
- ENTIDAD PUBLICA EMPRESARIAL ENAIRE (Spain)
- ENAV SPA (Italy)
- INDRA SISTEMAS SA (Spain)
- NATS (EN ROUTE) PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANY (United Kingdom)
- HEATHROW AIRPORT LIMITED (United Kingdom)
- LEONARDO - FINMECCANICA SPA (Italy)
- SKYGUIDE, SA SUISSE POUR LES SERVICES DE LA NAVIGATION AERIENNE CIVILS ET MILITAIRES (Switzerland)
- THALES AIR SYSTEMS SAS (France)
- NAVIAIR (Denmark)
- CROATIA CONTROL, CROATIAN AIR NAVIGATION SERVICES LTD (Croatia)
- AUSTRO CONTROL OSTERREICHISCHE GESELLSCHAFT FUR ZIVILLUFTFAHRT MBH (Austria)
- SWEDAVIA AB (Sweden)
- SCHIPHOL NEDERLAND B.V. (Netherlands)
- FLUGHAFEN MUNCHEN GMBH (Germany)
- Marie-France Deslandes
This project has received funding from the SESAR Joint Undertaking under the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 733018